Engineering falls under the umbrella of the Public Works Department. It provides key services to ensure quality development occurs in Farmers Branch. Development-related services include reviewing plans for private development to ensure that it will not have a negative impact on other property owners as well as making sure that the development will improve the quality of life for both residents and businesses in Farmers Branch.

Engineering Plans
Engineering (civil) plans are sometimes required when property is platted for development. Engineering plans associated with a plat must be submitted for construction of streets drainage, water and sewer systems, fire hydrants, and any other public improvements required within and adjacent to the property being platted. Engineering plans will include details, profiles, cross sections, and plan views of all public (and in some cases, private) infrastructure required for the development of real property. Engineering plans must be at least ninety-five percent (95%) complete (as determined by the City Staff Engineer) before the subdivision plat will be forwarded to the Planning and Zoning Commission for consideration. A rights-of-way permit will be required for all work being performed within public rights-of-way or easements. (See Permits section) The developer must construct all public improvements, including streetlights and street name signs and other improvements as required.


Generally, property must be platted or replatted when it is being developed or redeveloped. A plat may also be required when a portion of undeveloped property is being divided and sold or if a building structure is proposed for construction over an existing lot line. 

Plat Application

The City’s Plat Application fees were revised effective October 1, 2017 by City Ordinance 3469. See Platting GuidelinesPlat Submittal Calendar and Plat Checklist prior to submittals of Plat Application to ensure all items requested are provided.

*The final plat and other required separate instrument documents must be recorded at the Dallas County Clerk’s Of for current filing fees. fice by the applicant or their assigned designee. Recording fees are determined by Dallas County. Please contact Dallas County Clerk.

Record Drawing Requests

For City water, sanitary sewer and storm drainage plan requests, please email Record Drawings and allow for 3-5 business days for completion. Limit the area of request to the parcel in question. When requesting, please ensure to include the following:

  • Requester's Name 
  • Requester's/Company Address
  • Company Name, if applicable
  • Phone Number
  • Email